Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sarcasm doesn't translate!!! Ooops

I always seem to stick my foot in my mouth, but this time I REALLY should have known better! I served my mission in Chile where I quickly learned you can't say anything sarcastically without Chileans taking you seriously. They are so honest and sincere they almost never think you would be anything less...

For example, I had a heavy set Chilean companion who during a doctor appointment told the mission doctor (who was from the US) that she was fat... which in their culture is a completely normal thing to say about yourself and about others, not meant to offend or fish for complements, but rather to to be honest (what a concept!). Trying to make her feel better about herself, the doctor told her (with a wink and a smile), "You're just big boned" (not a concept used in the Chile... probably because it is an excuse we use rather than a fact). Later that day she told the four families we taught about her experience and how relieved she was to learn that she was not fat--just heavy boned (which is how big boned translated). "That must be why I weigh so much." I made up my mind that day to always be sincere...

One of my friends from Chile is OBSESSED with U2 and other amazing American bands. He has started a band of his own and hopes to make it big someday. This is one of his facebook pictures:

If you didn't notice... He is the Chilean man on the right, photoshopped into the picture.

When my husband and I got tickets to the U2 concert I sent him a message on facebook telling him about the tickets, and JOKINGLY told him I would say hi to Bono (the lead singer) for him. After the concert I wrote him another note telling him it was amazing and JOKINGLY that Bono says hi. It hadn't dawned on me that he--being from Chile--probably hasn't been to any of their concerts and doesn't know that NO ONE gets to talk to them (they don't even sell back stage passes). Not to mention that he probably didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

He wrote back SOOO excited telling me to please write back as soon as possibly to recount my entire conversation. I wrote him back apologizing and explained that I was just joking. A friend of his commented that he had already told the entire town that Bono "mande sus saludos" or sent his salutations to Lino, via (his true and honest friend) Becky....

I feel terrible. New years resolution 2010: no more sarcasm!!!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh my word. That is hilarious. I love a good old Chilean story and experience. I love that you are still having them. I didn't know Lino was so into U2, oh wait that was probably because he hated me. Why was that again?
I can't think of which companion you are talking about.
Most of us could do a little better about sarcasm, but I don't think I could ever just do without.

Merry said...

Haha! So funny!

Barbara said...

Oh Becky! You make me laugh! You are too cute. That is such a hilarious story. One I am sure you will never forget.