Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cake disaster!

How many of you watch TLC's the Cake Boss? Come on, fess up! Jk...It is seriously one of my favorite shows, and has given me the aspiration to become a wedding cake decorator. Not only does Buddy (the cake boss) make incredible cakes, but he somehow makes it look SOOOOOO easy (ha... don't be fooled). Look at these works of art!

Can you believe they're edible!!!



A couple of months ago I decided it was time to try my hand at cake decorating. A classic 9" by 12" you ask? NO! That would have been too easy (or so I thought). I had a whole day to dedicate to my new hobby and was willing to waste every minute of it making a cake-boss-worthy, full on, fondant-covered wedding cake! Why not? After 3 episodes I was sure to know be an expert right?

WRONG! My dream (and confidence was soon shattered after 10 hours of slaving in the kitchen over this pitiful finished product...

Not only was it ugly, but it tasted like gum-covered cardboard. After a lot of histerical laughing and nearly breaking down in tears, my Dad generously helped me cover the cracked and uneven fondant with some decorations. It is funny to look back on! I even swore I would never try again, but I just so happen to have the whole Christmas Break infront of me. Now, armed with 13 episodes, 3 youtube tutorials, and a 5 star recipe from recipezaar.com, I plan to tackle yet another cake adventure. With a lower standard of excellence (that being anything better than the above picture), and a whole week worth of detication, I am hoping for a little more success. Wish me luck!

14 comments:

Mary Anne said...

my brother loves that show and can crack me up with a buddy impersonation any day of the week! (i think it's the same guy...NY accent?) i've never seen the show myself. anyway, i think you did great...keep on baking! :)

Rachel said...

Don't give up Becky! Your first attempt looks 1000x better than anything I would ever be able to do! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Do you ever watch Challenge on the Food Network? I love that show! Your cake is beautiful, especially for your first try! I'm excited to see your next project!

Jennie said...

I'd say that is pretty darn for a first time. I can't wait to see more improved versions

Merry said...

Well, your cake may not be a life-like pool table (I almost cannot believe that that's a cake!), but it is darn good looking! Too bad it didn't taste good!

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

I actually saw about 15 min of that show over Thanksgiving break, I had never even heard of it... I don't have TV! I think that finding a new hobby is so fun. I am excited to see your next creation!

Casey said...

I love that show!! And I've gotta say, you came much closer to Buddy than I ever could have. Way to go, Becky! I'm so impressed.

Lindsey said...

I think it looks cute!!! Stay tuned on my blog for pictures of my first attempt for Kerrigan's birthday...your's blows mine so far out of the water it is not even funny!!!

The Graham Crackers said...

Ugly? What are you talking about? I think it looks great! Way better than anything I could do that's for sure! I think it's Awesome you're making cake decorating a new hobby. I'm sure this next one will be even better. Good luck:)

Ben and Krista said...

GOOD LUCK!! I LOVE watching the Cake Boss...seriously one of my favorite shows :) But it actually looked pretty good for your first! Maybe I'll try making one soon :)

Hilary Stailey said...

I think it looks soo cute! I was expecting a disaster, hence the title! But it looks great! Can't wait to see more!!!

Erin @ Strawberry Mommycakes said...

Becky, you're cute. I watch Food Network Challenge with Sean and we always think we can make cakes better than them...maybe not :) Your cake really isn't too bad for the first time! Can't wait to see your other creations!

Kendra and Jason said...

Becky, you crazy! Your cake looks AWESOME for your first cake! Don't let Ms Perfectionism tell you otherwise! And I am in love with that show too! I discovered it over Thanksgiving at my parent's house (we don't have cable in our apartment) and I decided I wanted to take a cake decorating class sometime soon. I can't wait to see more of your cakes!

Lindsey said...

Becky Turnbull Helvig i hope you remember me it is Lindsey Graham from highschool i went to page. well it is Lindsey Jones now. How are you? Where are you living? i think about you all the time! hope to hear back from you! my blog is www.keeping-upwiththe-jones.blogspot.com or you can e-mail me at Lindsey_Graham_50@hotmail.com or i am on facebook to as Lindsey Graham Jones.