Thursday, September 3, 2009

OUCH...


This is what I looked like AFTER therapy today!!!!  


OUCH!!!


Who knew speech therapy could be such a dangerous job!!!  I use to tease my sister Sarah (physical therapist) for getting beat-up by the kids on her case load.  When she use to call me bragging about her newest scratches and bites, I never thought I would EVER be in the same situation!  Today, one of our clients with Autism (who is non-verbal) had a melt down, hit my supervisor and dug his nails into my neck.  He really is a great kid, he was just having a rough day.  It's frustrating for him to not be able to communicate his needs or wants.

 Next weeks lesson: No hitting or scratching.

8 comments:

katie said...

is this a client in the clinic? is this a client in the clinic that i had last spring? s.v.?

Lindsey said...

Ok,so I worked as a 1:1 with autistic kids for almost 2 years before I had Kerrigan.
With that background...as soon as I saw the scratches I said to myself, "Self, Becky got attacked by an autistic child." The battle wounds looked oh so familiar to me!
How funny, looking at your scratches made me miss my job... and I am sure you are doing an awesome job!

Jennie said...

Oh my goodness. And you were always worried about my occupational hazards.

Chris and Abby said...

So I totally BLOG stocked you through Katie's blog. :)I was excited to find yours and Aarons. Sorry to see you inherited battle wounds! We need to plan another fun couples night soon :)

Anonymous said...

Ouch! It really takes a special person to work with special needs people, I'm not sure I could handle it!

Mary Anne said...

yikes! maybe you should get a really cool neck brace type thing for padding :) you're so hilarious!

Barbara said...

Ouch! You poor thing! You are amazing...what an awesome thing you are doing! But you are oh so brave! Just think battle wounds :)

Keli Call said...

Hi Becky! Your scratches look brutal!! I might be wrong but I swear I saw your husband at the movies in Gilbert on monday?!? I might be wrong too, who knows!